Unicorns are all the rage over on Instagram these days! With Unicorns in mind, I wanted to create a fun and easy (non-sweet) treat, simple enough for kids to make! Thus, Unicorn Bread was created!!! This recipe was tested at a preschool with 76 kids (ages 2-5 years old) and all of the kids LOVED making this bread! The best part is, this is a non-yeast bread and only takes 10 minutes in the oven!
INGREDIENTS: (for this colorful Unicorn Bread, you can easily divide this recipe into 2 (for two different colors) OR make two or more versions of the full recipe).
Makes about 8 Rolls
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp salted butter or margarine
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp of garlic salt or seasoning; if desired
- food coloring
- melted butter or margarine and salt
**For the youngest chefs, it is best to pre-measure the ingredients or assist them with measuring.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix all of the ingredients (including the food coloring of choice) into a medium bowl with a fork until soft dough forms.
- Gently roll dough into a ball on a floured (hard) surface.
- Knead dough 10 times incorporating flour as needed to prevent stickiness. Note: When making this with littlest of chefs, it is best for an adult to do this part.
- Divide dough into 16 pieces.
- Roll pieces out long (like a snake).
- Twist the 2 snake pieces together and roll inward to form a twisted ball and place onto a cookie sheet.
- Brush melted butter on top of rolls and add sprinkles of salt.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes and enjoy!! These are also great for dipping in cheese sauce or marinara sauce.
The food coloring that I used is from a wonderful company called Artisan Accents! Be sure to check them out!
Baking with Melissa hosts in-home baking birthday parties , cooking parties, and cupcake decorating parties in Los Angeles and the surrounding areas! Find Baking with Melissa on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, and YouTube!